Saturday 24 September 2011

The Gallery: Guilty Pleasures

I lately came across the Sticky Fingers blog and have been enjoying it for a while. It made me want to join in with the linky which Tara, whose blog it is, holds called The Gallery, as it seems like a fun thing to do. This involves using a photo to represent a prompt she gives out. To understand more and to see Tara's and other blogger's contributions click on the The Gallery button at the bottom of this post.

The latest prompt is the words 'Guilty Pleasures', how could I resist that one, so this is the one I've started with. My representation of my guilty pleasure is below.


You may be wondering what it means, although I think it's clear enough. A pile of books waiting to be read with the housework hiding behind. My guilty pleasure is sitting and reading, often with more than one book on the go at a time, and just leaving the cleaning till later. It's nice to have all the housework done so it doesn't play on my mind whilst reading, but if you become engrossed enough you can forget any mess around you. I can then quickly sort out the basics of the housework just before anyone returns from school or work, and pretend I've been hard at it all day to the rest of the family. It does get finished off once I started.

Don't worry, I don't behave this way all the time, but it is a guilty pleasure when I do.

The books in the pile consist of books I've already read and loved, and a couple still waiting and tempting me. The latest was a fun romp, Jump by Jilly Cooper; The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenstein which was a bit more cerebral but not too heavy; The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, about looking for Dracula, the Chauffeur and I went to see the abbey featured in this book, of which I will probably blog about at a later date, what a day THAT was. Also in the pile is a Shakespeare, I was looking for The Tempest as daughter#1 enjoyed this one and it's one I've not read yet, but couldn't find it, it may be in her room; and the The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, I adored his Shadow of the Wind.

Books - tempting, tantalizing things. I realise I'll have to keep the rest of the family from seeing this blog or they'll find out the truth, now.

                                                      

2 comments:

Vishal Kataria said...

Tell me about it. We all mirror your feelings. I gave my mom a mythological book (she loves mythology), and she abandoned the TV, phone calls and cleaning until she finished it.

DayDreamer said...

Yes, a good book can definitely do that.